Xorte logo

News Markets Groups

USA | Europe | Asia | World| Stocks | Commodities



Add a new RSS channel

 
 


Keywords

2024-07-23 16:42:56| Engadget

General Motors is putting the autonomous Cruise Origin shuttle van on ice. The company said that the embattled Cruise, of which GM is the majority owner, will now focus on making the next-gen Chevy Bolt. The automaker discontinued the previous Bolt last year due to a shift away from an older battery system but did not reveal plans for a new model at the time. According to a letter that GM CEO Mary Barra sent to shareholders, the indefinite delay of the shuttle van "addresses the regulatory uncertainty we faced with the Origin because of its unique design." Barra added that the per-unit costs of the next-gen Bolt will be much lower, "which will help Cruise optimize its resources." GM and Cruise were working on the Origin with Honda. The Origin which does not have a driver's seat, steering wheel or pedals was supposed to debut in Japan in 2026. In October, the California Department of Motor Vehicles suspended Cruise's driverless vehicle permits over safety issues. Earlier that month, a pedestrian in San Francisco was dragged 20 feet by a Cruise vehicle and pinned under it after a hit-and-run by another car pushed her into the robotaxi's path. Cruise later paused all driverless operations before temporarily halting production in November. According to CNBC, former Cruise CEO Kyle Vogt at one point told staff that hundreds of pre-commercial Origin vehicles had been built. The company has resumed robotaxi operations in Phoenix, Houston and Dallas with human operators on board and is carrying out tests in Dubai. However, it hasn't recommenced operations in San Francisco. It's still under investigation for the October incident there. Shelving the Origin is not a decision that GM and Cruise would have come to lightly. In GM's second quarter earnings report, the automaker noted that it incurred around $583 million of Cruise restructuring costs. It said these resulted "from Cruise voluntarily pausing its driverless, supervised and manual [autonomous vehicle] operations in the US and the indefinite delay of the Cruise Origin." On the plus side, resuming work on the Bolt (which will presumably use GM's Ultium battery tech the next time around) could be a boon for GM's bottom line. As of 2023, the Bolt EV and EUV accounted for most of GM's electric vehicle sales. It planned to make around 70,000 of them last year before ceasing production.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gm-shelves-the-autonomous-cruise-origin-shuttle-van-144256801.html?src=rss


Category: Marketing and Advertising

 

Latest from this category

21.02How to know if an AirTag is tracking you
21.02Engadget review recap: Sony WF-1000XM6, ASUS Zenbook Duo and more
21.02An old-school Zelda-like, Skate Bums and other new indie games worth checking out
20.02Xbox head Phil Spencer is leaving Microsoft
20.02Tunic publisher claims TikTok ran 'racist, sexist' AI ads for one of its games without its knowledge
20.02OpenAI will reportedly release an AI-powered smart speaker in 2027
20.0213-hour AWS outage reportedly caused by Amazon's own AI tools
20.02NASA targets March 6 for Artemis 2 launch to take astronauts around the Moon
Marketing and Advertising »

All news

21.02Engadget review recap: Sony WF-1000XM6, ASUS Zenbook Duo and more
21.02How to know if an AirTag is tracking you
21.02The secret to all those death-defying Olympic jumps is a giant plastic airbag
21.02An old-school Zelda-like, Skate Bums and other new indie games worth checking out
21.02Burger King wants you to call its president to complain. No, really
21.02How to prepare for a market crash
21.02Rare-breed horse centre cuts back amid cost woes
21.02US new home sales fall in December; inventory declines
More »
Privacy policy . Copyright . Contact form .