Xorte logo

News Markets Groups

USA | Europe | Asia | World| Stocks | Commodities



Add a new RSS channel

 
 


Keywords

2024-12-15 20:46:21| Engadget

Hackers behind a cyberattack that targeted Rhode Islands public benefits system were able to get the sensitive data including Social Security numbers and some banking information of hundreds of thousands of people, and they have threatened to release it as soon as this week if they arent paid a ransom, Rhode Island governor Dan McKee said in a press conference on Saturday night. The Rhode Island government opened a toll-free hotline on Sunday (833-918-6603) to provide information on the breach and how residents can protect themselves, but you wont be able to find out for sure if your data was stolen by calling in. People who may have been affected will be notified by mail. The attack targeted the RIBridges system, maintained by Deloitte, which is used to apply for Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), HealthSource RI healthcare coverage and other public benefits available to Rhode Islanders. A press release from McKees office notes that any individual who has received or applied for health coverage and/or health and human services programs or benefits could be impacted by this leak. Its thought the hackers were able to get information including names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers and certain banking information. Deloitte first detected the breach and notified state officials on December 5, and determined on the 11th that there was a high probability that the implicated folders contain personal identifiable data from RIBridges. It confirmed the presence of malicious code on December 13 and subsequently shut the system down, before officials announced the attack to the public the same day. The system is now offline while Deloitte works to secure it, which means that anyone who needs to apply for one of the affected programs will have to do so by mail, and people who are currently enrolled wont be able to access the online portal or app. The state said it so far hasnt detected any identity theft or fraud relating to the attack, but it will be offering free credit monitoring to anyone affected by the breach. This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/cybersecurity/hackers-may-have-accessed-hundreds-of-thousands-of-rhode-islanders-sensitive-info-in-ribridges-cyberattack-194621262.html?src=rss


Category: Marketing and Advertising

 

Latest from this category

20.02OpenAI will reportedly release an AI-powered smart speaker in 2027
20.0213-hour AWS outage reportedly caused by Amazon's own AI tools
20.02NASA targets March 6 for Artemis 2 launch to take astronauts around the Moon
20.02Ubisoft lays off 40 staff working on Splinter Cell remake, says game remains in development
20.02Engadget Podcast: Instagram on trial and the RAMaggedon rages on
20.02US website 'freedom.gov' will allow Europeans to view hate speech and other blocked content
20.02LA County lawsuit accuses Roblox of exposing children to 'grooming and exploitation'
20.02Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen are coming to Switch next week for the series 30th anniversary
Marketing and Advertising »

All news

20.02Monday's Earnings/Economic Releases of Note; Market Movers
20.02UK agrees drone defence plan with four EU allies
20.02OpenAI will reportedly release an AI-powered smart speaker in 2027
20.0213-hour AWS outage reportedly caused by Amazon's own AI tools
20.02NASA targets March 6 for Artemis 2 launch to take astronauts around the Moon
20.02South Holland retail incubator announces first businesses, from candles to BBQ
20.02Are boneless wings legally wings? A judge just settled the question
20.02Gift Nifty jumps 400 points from lows after US Supreme Court strikes down Trump tariffs
More »
Privacy policy . Copyright . Contact form .