|
The White House said on Wednesday that tech billionaire Elon Musk will stay on to complete his mission to slash government spending and downsize the federal workforce, dismissing media reports that he will leave the role soon. Politico and ABC reported that President Donald Trump had told members of his Cabinet that Musk will soon depart and return to the private sector, although the reports did not make clear if that would mean Musk leaving before his 130-day mandate as a special government employee is set to expire around late May. Trump has tasked the Tesla and SpaceX CEO with leading efforts through the Department of Government Efficiency to cut government funding and reshape the federal bureaucracy. “Elon Musk and President Trump have both publicly stated that Elon will depart from public service as a special government employee when his incredible work at DOGE is complete,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said. Musk and DOGE did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the reports. On Tuesday, Musk and Trump suffered a setback as a liberal judge in Wisconsin won election to the state Supreme Court, easily defeating a conservative judge whose campaign had been heavily bankrolled by Musk and groups tied to him. The vote had been seen as an early referendum on Trump’s presidency and Musk’s campaign to remake the U.S. civil service. Shares of some government contracting companies rose following the reports of Musk’s possible impending return to the private sector. Shares of Musk’s Tesla, which had been down more than 6% in early trading after a sharper-than-expected fall in first-quarter deliveries, reversed course and were up about 5% on Wednesday afternoon. Musk told Fox News’ “Special Report with Bret Baier” last week that he was confident he would finish most of his stated aim of cutting $1 trillion in federal spending by the end of his 130 days. But in a March 10 interview with Fox Business Network’s “Kudlow,” when he was asked by host Larry Kudlow, “You going to go another year?” Musk replied, “Yeah, I think so.” According to the DOGE website, the only official window into its operations, DOGE estimates it has saved U.S. taxpayers $140 billion as of April 2 through a series of actions including workforce reductions, asset sales, and contract cancellations, still far short of Musk’s $1 trillion goal. But evidence for the stated savings is often missing, and the website’s calculations have been riddled with errors and corrections. DOGE’s mandate as a whole is set to continue to July 4, 2026. However, many of the top figures in DOGE are tied to Musk and have not said whether they would want to stay on after the departure of the billionaire, who has been the ideological force behind the government overhaul. There has been growing unease across the U.S. over Musk’s blunt approach to mass layoffs from the government workforce. Nearly 200,000 employees have been fired, earmarked for termination or have accepted buyouts. Republican lawmakers have faced the wrath of angry voters at unruly town halls, while many of DOGE’s efforts have become the subject of lawsuits. Tesla dealerships have been vandalized in the U.S. and abroad, and a nationwide protest against DOGE and Trump’s agenda is planned for this Saturday. Susan Heavey, Nandita Bose, Andrea Shalal, and Tim Reid, Reuters Additional reporting by Shivani Jayesh Tanna, Akash Sriram, Abhirup Roy, and Sayantani Ghosh.
Category:
E-Commerce
You cant talk about the manosphere without mentioning Andrew Tate. The British-American influencer and former professional kickboxer built his platform by promoting misogynistic ideasclaiming women should be subservient to men, suggesting rape victims should bear responsibility for their assaults, and openly describing acts of domestic violence. The manosphere, which birthed Tate and others like him, is a network of right-wing influencers and grifters who peddle misogyny, toxic masculinity, and regressive gender rolesoften aimed at radicalizing disaffected young men. And if Tate and his brother Tristan’s warm welcome from American right-wing podcasters is any indication, this ideology is no longer confined to the darkest corners of the internet. It’s creeping into the mainstream. Recently, the Tate brothers were allowed to leave Romania after prosecutors lifted their travel restrictions in late February. The two remain under investigation there for allegedly forming an organized criminal group, human trafficking, trafficking of minors, and money laundering. Shortly after, they landed in the United States. Around the same time, an ex-girlfriend, Brianna Stern, filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles accusing Andrew of beating and choking her during their relationship. Now, a new report from Media Matters reveals how several pro-Trump and manosphere-aligned podcasters eagerly welcomed Tate during his U.S. visit. Between February and March, he appeared on the Hodgetwins podcast, the Nelk Boys Full Send, Sean Kellys Digital Social Hour, Patrick Bet-Davids PBD Podcast, and Candace with Candace Owens. These interviews were shared widelyfull episodes uploaded to YouTube, Rumble, Apple Podcasts, and Spotify drew more than 9 million views. Shorter clips posted to social media racked up an additional 30.8 million. The Nelk BoysCanadian-American YouTubers who began with prank content but now lean into right-wing politicseven walked into a UFC Power Slap event alongside the Tate brothers. There, UFC president and Trump ally Dana White greeted them with a hug and said, Welcome to the States, boys. The current online media ecosystem incentivizes outrage and extremismand that is exactly what we saw when MAGA and manosphere podcasts platformed Andrew Tate when he returned to the U.S.,” Kayla Gogarty, research director at Media Matters, tells Fast Company. “These podcasters allowing Tate to push extreme misogyny and hate to their large followings, and then amplifying clips to millions more, is concerning, as young men that follow these shows can be radicalized down a path that could lead to abuse and violence against women.” Not everyone on the right embraced Tates return. Socially conservative figures such as Florida Governor Ron DeSantis have voiced disgust over the support hes received. Still, prominent MAGA personalitiesincluding White House counselor Alina Habba, Candace Owens, Elon Musk, and Donald Trump Jr.remain in his corner.
Category:
E-Commerce
The world is bracing for impact as the so-called “Liberation Day” arrives Wednesdaythe latest installment of President Trump’s tariff announcements since his return to office in January. In a Rose Garden address at 4 p.m. ET, the president is set to unveil a sweeping “reciprocal tariff” plan, targeting not only Mexico, Canada, and China, but also other countries in a trade surplus with the U.S. or those holding tariffs on American products. It is still unclear what countries and industries will be impacted by today’s announcement, as well as the rate of tariffs imposed, and if they will be imposed universally or by country. However, the policy changes are said to go into effect after his speech. While much is still uncertain, here is how many world leaders are reacting ahead of Trump’s “Liberation Day” speech. Mexico President Claudia Sheinbaum’s “cool head” approach has helped Mexico evade some of Trump’s tariffs since he first announced 25% levies on Mexican exports in early February. Sheinbaum said Wednesday in her daily morning briefing that she would announce an “integral plan” on Thursday. “Our interest is to strengthen the Mexican economy,” Sheinbaum said. “It’s not an issue of if you tariff me, I tariff you.” Canada Following on-again-off-again tariffs between the U.S. and Canadathe country America long considered its closest allyCanadian Prime Minister Mark Carney warned Trump that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on American exports, although no specifics have been revealed yet. China In early February, Trump imposed a 10% tariff on all Chinese imports, upending a tariff war between the world’s two largest economies. After the U.S. raised tariffs to 20% in early March, China responded with retaliatory tariffs, with 10% and 15% levies on various food and agricultural goods. Ahead of “Liberation Day,” China held economic dialogue with Japan and South Korea, seeking a coordinated response among the three nations. However, Japanese and South Korean officials said that decision was not taken. EU Ahead of the April 2 announcement, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said, “Europe did not start this confrontation, we do not necessarily want to retaliate, but if it is necessary, we have a strong plan to retaliate and we will use it.” In early March, the European Commission responded to Trump’s tariffs on aluminum and steel by launching “swift and proportionate countermeasures on U.S. imports into the EU,” a statement read. Countermeasures included tariffs on American goods such as bourbon and motorbikes worth up to $28 billion in exports.
Category:
E-Commerce
All news |
||||||||||||||||||
|