Xorte logo

News Markets Groups

USA | Europe | Asia | World| Stocks | Commodities



Add a new RSS channel

 
 


Keywords

2025-01-18 22:50:12| Engadget

Just one day before TikTok is expected to shut down in the US, startup Perplexity AI has submitted a bid to TikToks parent company ByteDance proposing a merger that would allow it to continue operating, CNBC reports. Citing an anonymous source, CNBC reports that the proposed merger would create a new entity combining Perplexity, TikTok US and New Capital Partners. It comes after the Supreme Court on Friday ruled unanimously to uphold a law that requires ByteDance to sell TikTok or it will be banned in the US. The company has so far resisted the idea of a sale. According to CNBCs source, Perplexity is hoping a merger rather than a sale will be more appealing to ByteDance. The new structure would allow for most of ByteDances existing investors to retain their equity stakes and would bring more video to Perplexity, CNBC reports. If ByteDance were to accept the proposal, theres a chance the company would be given a 90-day extension by Trump to work out a deal, which he told NBC News' Kristen Welker that he would most likely do when he takes office on Monday. But there is as yet no indication that ByteDance will go this route. Despite rampant speculation about potential buyers, TikTok said it will be forced to go dark on January 19 when the law takes effect unless the Biden Administration immediately provides a definitive statement to satisfy the most critical service providers assuring non-enforcement. The outgoing administration, however, reportedly says its leaving all that for the Trump team to deal with. Per MSNBC, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre called TikToks claim about shutting down a stunt, and said we see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump Administration takes office on Monday. We have laid out our position clearly and straightforwardly: actions to implement this law will fall to the next administration, Jean-Pierre said, according to MSNBC. So TikTok and other companies should take up any concerns with them.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/social-media/perplexity-ai-has-reportedly-submitted-an-11th-hour-bid-to-save-tiktok-in-the-us-215012514.html?src=rss


Category: Marketing and Advertising

 

Latest from this category

21.02The US will send Tech Corps members to foreign countries in its latest push for AI dominance
21.02A judge ruled Tesla still has to pay $243 million for a fatal crash involving Autopilot
21.02How to know if an AirTag is tracking you
21.02Engadget review recap: Sony WF-1000XM6, ASUS Zenbook Duo and more
21.02An old-school Zelda-like, Skate Bums and other new indie games worth checking out
20.02Xbox head Phil Spencer is leaving Microsoft
20.02Tunic publisher claims TikTok ran 'racist, sexist' AI ads for one of its games without its knowledge
20.02OpenAI will reportedly release an AI-powered smart speaker in 2027
Marketing and Advertising »

All news

21.02The US will send Tech Corps members to foreign countries in its latest push for AI dominance
21.02Supreme Court ruling offers little relief for Republicans divided on President Donald Trumps tariffs
21.02A judge ruled Tesla still has to pay $243 million for a fatal crash involving Autopilot
21.02Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
21.02President Trump says hes imposing a 15% global tariff, up from the 10% he announced after the Supreme Court decision
21.02MPs to discuss inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew arrest
21.02Engadget review recap: Sony WF-1000XM6, ASUS Zenbook Duo and more
21.02How to know if an AirTag is tracking you
More »
Privacy policy . Copyright . Contact form .