Xorte logo

News Markets Groups

USA | Europe | Asia | World| Stocks | Commodities



Add a new RSS channel

 
 


Keywords

2024-12-04 14:00:23| Engadget

Ubisoft's first-person shooter XDefiant, which launched less than six months ago with some success, will shut down on June 3, 2025. As part of that, the studio will close three production studios and lay off 277 employees.  New downloads, player registrations, and purchases will no longer be available starting today, However, Season 3 will launch as planned and servers will remain online until June 3. Players who purchased the Ultimate Founders Pack or bought anything in the last 30 days will automatically receive full refunds within eight weeks. "Despite an encouraging start, the team's passionate work, and a committed fan base, we've not been able to attract and retain enough players in the long run to compete at the level we aim for in the very demanding free-to-play FPS market," said Ubisoft's chief studios and portfolio officer Marie-Sophie de Waubert.  Ubisoft confirmed that it will close its Osaka and San Francisco studios while ramping down its Sydney site. That will result in the loss of 277 jobs, or just over half of XDefiant's team, with the other half transitioning to other parts of the company. "I want to express my deepest gratitude for your work and contributions. Please know that we are committed to supporting you during this transition," de Waubert told departing employees. At one time, XDefiant was Ubisoft's fastest growing game ever, hitting 5 million users sooner than any of its other titles and eventually counting up to 15 million players. However, it couldn't build on that success and last month, rumors began to circulate that XDefiant would be shut down. "The game is too far away from reaching the results required to enable further significant investment," de Waubert said yesterday. Ubisoft has been going through a rough patch of late. The company recently cancelled The Division: Heartland before it launched and delayed Assassin's Creed Shadows until Valentine's Day 2025, following a disappointing launch for Star Wars Outlaws. Last year, the company cancelled three unannounced projects and commenced a restructuring program that led to over a thousand layoffs.This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/ubisoft-is-giving-up-on-xdefiant-130023396.html?src=rss


Category: Marketing and Advertising

 

Latest from this category

20.02Ubisoft lays off 40 staff working on Splinter Cell remake, says game remains in development
20.02Engadget Podcast: Instagram on trial and the RAMaggedon rages on
20.02US website 'freedom.gov' will allow Europeans to view hate speech and other blocked content
20.02LA County lawsuit accuses Roblox of exposing children to 'grooming and exploitation'
20.02Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen are coming to Switch next week for the series 30th anniversary
20.02The Morning After: What to expect from Apples March 4 hardware event
20.02Samsung updates Bixby to become more conversational
20.02Google Play used AI to help block 1.75 million bad apps in 2025
Marketing and Advertising »

All news

20.02Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping global tariffs
20.02KFC, Nando's, and others ditch chicken welfare pledge
20.02Supreme Court strikes down Trumps sweeping tariffs, upending central plank of economic agenda
20.02Ubisoft lays off 40 staff working on Splinter Cell remake, says game remains in development
20.02NSE to launch Gold 10 grams futures from March 16 after Sebi approval. Check expiry and other details
20.02Asos co-founder dies after Thailand apartment block fall
20.02How technology is reinventing global payments
20.02Meta and YouTube are now facing a legal reckoning that harkens back to cases against big tobacco
More »
Privacy policy . Copyright . Contact form .